My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Thing 3

Does anyone else feel a little Dr. Seuss-ish labeling their posts, "Thing 2," "Thing 3," etc.?  It makes me want to write in rhyme.

To be honest, I found setting up this blog to be amusing and fun.  I had completely forgotten that I had a Blogger account, so it was already basically created for me; it just needed a little T.L.C.  The most difficult challenge I faced was exporting my avatar (which also happened to exist already due solely to my Nostradamus-like, future-predicting skills and not the fact that I had an existing Yahoo profile).  Actually, I lied again.  The most difficult challenge was getting the HTML code correct by eliminating a non-existent link that somehow managed to hide itself in my copied and pasted text and only appeared when viewed in the "edit HTML" mode.  Playing in the "edit HTML" mode was quite fun, though.  I spent a good chunk of time deleting snippets and then switching to the "compose" mode to see what havoc ensued.

Before I posted my first blog, I browsed through the blogs from the rest of the class and noticed something very peculiar.  My style of writing, along with the amount, is quite different from everyone else's.  Actually, I lied; it's not very peculiar at all.  I'm used to blogging in a very relaxed setting and saying exactly what's on my mind.  My older blogs (sites that will remain unlinked due to their inappropriate content for this class) were used more to vent and communicate with friends.  We gave each other advice, edited each others' poetry, laughed at each others' mishaps, comisserated, and even collaborated.  In those blogs, I didn't have to pay attention my language or to grammar, although I still tried to stay correct for the most part (I think I ended up creating my own type of "blogrammar.")  It will be interesting to see how much I have to edit these posts and how much of my "blogrammar" seeps into them.  As it is, I'm having a very difficult time not using hyphens to connect thoughts, not adding unneeded ellipses, and not adding "lol," ";-)," or "*insert halo*" in various locations.  I'm also used to writing for people who understand that I tend to use a humorous voice in my posts, even when venting, so it will be interesting to see if my sense of humor comes across as much as a hope it does.

2 comments:

  1. Blogging has grown up a lot from the first attempts...the Xanga version that my own girls used back in the early part of the 21st century would not hold a candle to waht is out there today.
    It's good that you recognize the need to use different styles, but be sure you continue the playfulness of this learning adventure...it is meant to be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogging has definitely changed. When I first started, it was more of an online journal or diary format. Now you can find a blog on pretty much any topic that you're interested in. Some of the cooking blogs amaze me - not to mention the fitness ones. I can look at someone's blog now and get an entirely new workout, without having to consult a personal trainer. Plus, I can blog and share what has worked for me and what hasn't, and maybe get new ideas from it. I love it!

    ReplyDelete