My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Friday, September 17, 2010

Thing 5

I've had quite a few friends invite me to Flickr before, but I never took them up on it.  Now, after searching through the galleries and groups, I decided to get my own account! I haven't uploaded any pictures yet, but that's only because I keep them on an external hard drive and I have no energy to hook it up at the moment.  When I do, I post a link someone on here.

I chose to search the Creative Commons Flickr site for pictures of "rain."  I'm developing a collection focusing around the 2nd grade Science TEKS in another class this semester and decided to use a term that might relate to them.  9.A, B, and C include identifying the basic needs of plants and animals, environmental factors on growth and behavior, and how organisms depend on their environment to survive.  I thought rain fit all three categories fairly well.

The amount of pics out there with the tag, "rain," was amazing. What was more amazing, though was the quality of the photos!   The photo I chose was "Raining Bokeh," by Leland Fancisco.  I thought it was a terrific example of how plants depend on rain.

 

4 comments:

  1. I too am amazed at the quality of photos that are available in the Flickr CC collection...such "up close and personal" details as found in the one you selected!
    I'm glad one assignment can help you develop another one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I love the photos in Flickr, too! I just wish my students could access it at school so we could use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was surprised at the quality of the pictures also. I have only used flickr a few times before this class, but I was really surprised when I started searching for common everyday household things. I would never think to take a picture of a roll of paper towels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jodi -

    A roll of paper towels? You know I'm going to have to go search for that now . . . which gives me a great idea! I work with preschoolers at the moment and am always looking for more crafts to do. I wonder if there'd be any pictures of preschool crafts? I'm going to have to check! Maybe I'll even start taking pictures of ours and posting them. Thanks for sparking my creativity!

    ReplyDelete