My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Thing 10

Heh heh heh.  Playing with online image generators was a blast!  I went to Custom Sign Generator and made a magazine cover with a photo from a family excursion where we were attacked by giant killer spiders! (I swear!)


I think students would have fun creating their own magazine covers.  They could easily find one to create for a Social Studies topic,or maybe as an enrichment to a reading assignment.

I also went to Image Chef and played with their Visual Poetry option which I found fun, frustrating, and challenging.  I didn't like not being able to control certain aspects of it, but it was still fun to find a poem (that was appropriate to share) and image that fit . . . and then combine them.


I liked the Word Mosaic, too.  Tried the Poetry Blender, too, but it kept locking up.  Obviously, this site would fun to use in a poetry lesson.  Students can even create their own background images to express their poems.

I still love Big Huge Labs - I think it has so many fun and easy to use options! 

I LOVED Dumpr!  The sketch feature was awesome!  I took a picture of my sister, self, niece and nephew that normally gets all messed up when I apply special effects to it, and it turned out great!  Here's the original:

Here's the sketch!:


I love it!  They had other unique options like putting it in a museum or making it a postcard on a postcard stand.  Just a very fun site.  I plan on playing around with it some more!  I could easily see students using the site to add visuals to a report, images to a blog, as part of a reading assignment (maybe creating something that represents one of the characters), etc.  There are numerous possibilities!

Glogster looks like it would be a lot of fun, too!  I signed up with Glogster Edu so my niece could possible make one and look through them.  It seemed like a safer environment than the Glogster site.  I didn't play around too much with this, but I could see it having a place in education, as well.  I think students would have fun creating and upkeeping their own glogs.

I plan on doing more searches for image and text generators, too; they're just too much fun!

4 comments:

  1. I made a Glogster account, too, but was so disappointed when I found out that it is blocked at my school---and I had already registered for the 100 free student accounts. So, I marked Glogster off of my list of things for my sixth graders to do, UNTIL I read your blog. When you hot-linked the Glogster Edu site, it dawned on me that it was a different link, and, yahoo, that link works at my school. I'm planning a Glogster countries assignment right now. THANK YOU so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! I'm glad that the edu site isn't blocked, too! I'd love to hear how the countries assignment goes! I think that Glogster looks really fun - my niece was extremely excited about it, although she's been too busy to start it, yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish that I had time to sit down and play with all of these tools. The things that you designed are awesome. I am glad that we can access the 23 Things after this class is over because I am sure that I will be going back to check some of these out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww! Thank you for the compliment! I had a blast designing them - I'm glad we can access everything, too. I've been looking at everyone else's blogs and wanting to explore their links more, but haven't had time, either.

    ReplyDelete