My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Monday, October 4, 2010

Thing 7


I had no idea that “google” was in the dictionary now!  Wonder when Microsoft is going to add it to their Word lexicon . . . lol.

I’ve been using a lot of the Google Tools or have played around with them over the years.  In fact, Google Calendar and Google Docs are how my sister and I keep our schedules and whatnot organizes with my nannying duties.  I created an iGoogle page and used it for at least 6 months, but I get frustrated with how long it takes the page to load, so I change it back to the normal Google screen off and on.  I also have a Picassa Web Album, although I don’t think I have much in it anymore.  I actually downloaded Picassa and used it more on my comp than the Web.  I’ve used Google Scholar to search before, and have messed with the Advanced Search options just for fun (and to create an account for my niece that’s censored).  I tried Google Earth and downloaded the Plugin for Google Maps, but I didn’t like it.  It took too long to load and then my firewall wanted to block certain aspects of it. Considering I’m not a computer guru, I decided to let my firewall limit the access and ended up not being able to do much with the program.

My two tools:

Google Calendar:  I think I’m going to explore Google Calendar more and add my pet sitting schedule, workout schedule, and volunteer schedule to it!  I just added my work schedule, but until now I’ve mostly used to follow other people’s schedules, not mine.  Considering how much I have going on, I bet it would be really handy to add everything.  Plus, it has email reminders which my phone will notify me of, so I have an automatic alarm for each event!




Google Books:  I did try out Google Books, which has online books and magazines that you can either read or preview.  The books and magazines that have full text available are either in the public domain or are out of copyright; however, some authors have given permission for their works to be on Google Books, too.  Because the majority of the magazines are not current, it would be great to use this search engine as a way of comparing trends in society, fashion, politics, etc. with current trends.

2 comments:

  1. Google Docs are jsut wonderful for sharing all kinds of things. I am trying to get family members to use them, butthey are stubborn and like adding attachments t oemails...I just need to find the right doc that will make the difference

    I toohave a google page that I don't use as much as the regular Google page...I like to see when the Google guys put up something interesting or clever. I would hate to miss them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister actually got me to use them first, but I was very reluctant about it. I found it slightly confusing, but I think that was because I didn't really see a need for it - until my brother-in-law posted his Christmas list as one. That made me shake the "document" stigma that I had branded it with and see it as a versatile tool for sharing information.

    Oh, and I LOVE the little Google themes that they do! I just recently signed out of iGoogle again so I don't miss the Halloween one! lol

    ReplyDelete