My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Thing 16

Wikis rock my world!  Ok, maybe not to that extreme, but I really do like them!  I've been debating on creating one for exercising/weight training, but I haven't quite hunkered down to focus on it, yet.  I loved reading everyone's thoughts about the Library2Play experience on the Spring Branch Library Future wiki, as well!  So insightful to read what they all thought about it.  I really like how Selena used a voki (avatar) to post her thoughts and linked to her classroom wiki; it's great to see one in use!

I was lucky enough to give my presentation on wikis, and I would love to put one together when I become a librarian.  My idea was for it to be a collaborative site where students could write and edit reviews for books, comment on them, have online discussions, etc.  Kind of like a virtual meeting place for a community of readers.  I also thought having the students write the reviews and recommend books would make the wiki more student-centered.  They could add video reviews, home-made book trailers, links to professional book trailers, links to author pages, links to other books or reviews . . . the ideas are only as limited as the users imaginations.  Although mine was only an example, and is not a "complete" version, you can still check it out at Gator Book Reviews.



2 comments:

  1. I am sorry you hit the frustration level.

    This one was my achilles heel. I just didn't get it. I have been convinced by many others that is a great tool. But it is just not a part of my toolbox.

    you have experienced it...move on because other things will present you with other options!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking this comment was meant to be on Thing 17, about Rollyo, not Thing 16. lol - And thank you. I thought it would be nice to have all of the sites I look through for recipes and work out plans grouped together. That way, when I searched for, say, "biceps," it would look through all of the sites and pull up links to exercises specifically for biceps. Same goes with the recipes. I could search for spicy salmon and not have to go to each individual site. Oh well. I'm taking your advice and moving on. lol Thank you!

    ReplyDelete