My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thing 19

So many tools, so little time!

Although I'm not a newcomer to it, I feel the need to express my love for StumbleUpon.  I've had an account with the for almost a year now (I think) and have whiled away many an hour "stumbling."  In fact, a lot of my bookmarks have come from my use of StumbleUpon.  Without it, I would never have found some of my health blogs, or Fey Handmade.  I haven't purchased a whole lot from it, but I love it, none-the-less.  I found it easy to use, and that it really does use your interests to find interesting pages.  I also love the toolbar and how it makes sites easy to bookmark and share online with people.  Two big thumbs up for StumbleUpon!


I checked out both LuLu and Biblio and found that I liked each for different reasons.  I like how simple LuLu makes it to publish a book.  I don't know that I'll ever publish one, but I could see this being a fun class project, possibly.  It doesn't cost anything to upload your work and choose the binding, cover, etc., so it would be possible to create a book of stories different students wrote throughout the year.  If students wanted a copy, it would be available for them to purchase.  The library could have book of student-written literature.  The teacher could also keep a book in her classroom library.  Poetry clubs could make student poetry anthologies and the library could have a copy.  You can also create scrapbooks and calendars! - So many possibilities!  I could compile my dairy-free recipes (that I've had to adapt, change, or create) into a cookbook.  They even have a tools to help create your portfolio, ebook, or even CD/DVD. To top it off, their blog offers suggestions to market your work, hints and tips on how to increase sales, tips on how to create and publish your own works, too.  Biblio offered some really good deals on books that I've been wanting, so I intend on checking it out further.  I also liked the idea that Biblio is allowing local stores to reach the global market and that they have searches for out of print and rare books, as well.

Mango was fun!  I took Spanish in high school and during my undergrad, but have not retained much of the language due to non-use.  The example lesson for Spanish was easy to grasp, fast paced but not to much information to keep me from following, and it had pop-up pronunciation bubbles when you scrolled over the Spanish word.  The pronunciation pop-ups were really handy, as I've been told my Minnesota accent shows when I attempt to speak Spanish.  Through Mango's library search I was able to find out that the public Helen Hall Library has it available for use.  I haven't tried it through the library, but it is definitely on my to-do list.  I could see how having this program available in the school library would be beneficial to students.  They could try their hand at learning a new language, brush up on pronunciation and meanings, and review grammar and phrases. Mango even has a version for educators, including a virtual classroom.  A terrific feature of the educational version is that, because it is all online, students can access it from anywhere, at anytime.

I suppose I should also say that I liked Upcoming, although I only found one event that I plan on attending (two if you count the one i had tickets to before visiting this site). My new "event?"  I found out that I could bring a can of food in to Remington College - Houston Southeast (Webster Location) and get a free pedi or mani!  How awesome is that?! (Not that I'm vain, but who doesn't like a little FREE pampering every once in awhile?)  Going had quite a few things listed, as well.  I think, though, that the best way to find out what's going on is to look on multiple sites.

As much as PEERtrainer had some nice articles on exercises and exercising, I was irritated with the site.  Every actual workout it listed seemed to try to sell some kind of equipment.  I just want to know what to do with free weights and cables at the gym, not go and purchase some expensive home gym or band.  It would have been nice for it to just list various workouts for focusing on select muscle groups.

The Web 2.0 awards were from 2008 . . . I wonder what they would look like now?  What sites would be nominated?  Two of the travel sites were already kaput, so I wonder what the top 3 travel sites would be.





No comments:

Post a Comment